TWENTY-TWO RUSTING, DISGUSTING TRAILER HOMES, ELEVEN ON EACH SIDE OF "LOVER'S LANE COURT" (CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?) BEHIND THE BARELY HANGING-ON FRONT DOOR OF EACH IS A STORY; IN THE DAYS TO COME I WILL TELL THEIR SORTED TALES.

Friday, February 17, 2012

HE TORE THE DAMN MAN'S LEGS OFF!

THE PLENTY BURGER

A Great American and a Great Man by the name of Ed Anderson owned and operated THE DAIRY BAR-Home of the PLENTY BURGER!

When I worked on the Police Dept. for Newnan, Georgia, the Dairy Bar
was located on Greenville Street next to Weddington Chevrolet.

A police officer on duty never had to pay over half price for his meal.
If you were short on cash, you didn't have to pay at all. Ed would not
let an officer go hungry.

I once got a call from Shirley(one
of the girls who worked there) who said a drunk had bumped into the
building with his car after picking up his order at the window and was
parked in the parking lot.

When I arrived, she pointed him out.
I walked over to the open car window on the driver's side and
immediately smelled the tell-tale odor of alcoholic beverages(that's the
way you word it to get a conviction, as alcohol does not smell).

"Sir, have you been drinking alcoholic beverages tonight?"
"You mean bourbon and stuff?"
"Yeah, like that."
"Sure(with a slurred chuckle)."
"Sir, you need to step out of the car."
"Can't do it!"
"Put your d..... feet on the ground right now(blood beginning to boil)!"
"You got it!"( some shuffling about as if he were unbuckling his seat belt.

The out the window drops TWO ARTIFICIAL LEGS!!!
"What else can I do for you, FLAT FOOT?"

Then the Sherlock Holmes in me kicked in and I noticed that he was driving a car with hand controls.

He refused to put his legs back on, so I had another officer assist me
in loading him into my patrol car and later helping me set him at the
intoximeter at the station house.

While we had been at the Dairy Bar, the LT. had driven by to make sure
everything was OK. It took a short while to wait for a wrecker to come
and impound the vehicle.
In the meantime, the LT. had gone back
to the station and began to tell the new civilian dispatcher, that I
had gone ballistic and had threatened to rip that drunk's legs off if he
didn't co-operate.
The dispatcher/booking
officer had been out of the room when we arrived. The LT. had told him
to go to the bathroom because we were going to be busy and he would not
have a chance later. As he sat down at his desk, I tossed both legs into
his lap, saying tag those as property.

He jumped up, screamed like a little girl and run out of the station, not to be seen again that night.
I ended up dispatching for the rest of the shift. I later got my revenge on the LT.!

No comments:

Post a Comment