TWENTY-TWO RUSTING, DISGUSTING TRAILER HOMES, ELEVEN ON EACH SIDE OF "LOVER'S LANE COURT" (CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?) BEHIND THE BARELY HANGING-ON FRONT DOOR OF EACH IS A STORY; IN THE DAYS TO COME I WILL TELL THEIR SORTED TALES.

Friday, February 17, 2012

SNIPE HUNTING!

 Let's relive a favorite(or dark) memory from our childhood--PRANKS PLAYED ON US BY
SOMEONE WE TRUSTED!(and yes, brother, I am talking about you).

As a child growing up in Hogansville, there was less
than nothing to do. Even if all the toys and games that exist today had
been on the shelves back then, who the hell could afford them on cotton mill salaries(of our parents)?

So we played games. Some we made up after watching whatever B MOVIE had
just played at the ROYAL THEATER last, or many times we played games
that had been handed down through the generations.

Case in point:   SNIPE HUNTING!
As those of my age know, you get a gullible small child(me), give him a
burlap bag as dusk, have him get on his hands and knees at the end of a
small gulley, open the bag and wait for the other person to flush the
snipes down to you. Of course while you are kneeling there in the dark
terrified with all kinds of thoughts going through your head;
1. What if there are more than the sack will hold, with they be disappointed in me?
2. What if something OTHER than a snipe gets in the bag?
3. What if I catch more than they ever caught, will that make them mad at me?
4. It is REALLY DARK now!
5. What was that noise?

Had I had the experience of years, I would have figured out what just
happened to me by my tormentors laughing like a pack of hyenas. Instead,
when I asked what was so funny, my brother said one of the other boys
had just told a joke and this seemed not to be a good night to catch
snipes.

So they took me out the next night!!!  Yes, yes, I was slow to learn back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment