TWENTY-TWO RUSTING, DISGUSTING TRAILER HOMES, ELEVEN ON EACH SIDE OF "LOVER'S LANE COURT" (CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?) BEHIND THE BARELY HANGING-ON FRONT DOOR OF EACH IS A STORY; IN THE DAYS TO COME I WILL TELL THEIR SORTED TALES.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

HOW I MET JUNIOR SAMPLES!





 





I AM A PRETTY GOOD SHOT WITH THIS HERE SQUIRREL GUN!
In the very early 1970's, I-85 barely made it to College Park, so the only way to go north or south was on U.S. 29. It was usually quite most of the time and we liked it that way.
The police departments, sheriff's department and Georgia State Patrol all operated on on main radio channel back then, much like a c.b. channel, only closed to the public. If another dispatcher was talking to their officer, you had to wait until the channel was clear to talk. There was usually little to say, so that was not a great inconvenience. It was helpful, however, in that we were in constant contact with Grantville PD, which only had one officer on duty at a time and no dispatcher. The officer on duty would either tell Hogansville PD or Coweta SO when he made a traffic stop or was answering a call. We looked out for each other back then as best we could. Constant communications was also helpful on those rare occasions went some dang fool thought it was a smart idea to try and outrun the police. The saying was, "You might outrun my car, but you can't outrun my radio!" Someone tried just that one summer night many years ago.
Dick Staley, the Asst. Chief worked from 8pm until 4am every day, while I was the 'relief' man and would work everyone's shift in turn.
I do not recall the time of night, but it was late. Only a car or two would come down the road every so often. The weather was clear. Dick and I happen to be at the Police Station talking with Mr. Frank Thornton when Jackie Storey can on the air talking 90 miles an hour. "I got one running on me, he's heading South, set up a roadblock Hogansville!" Jackie was the night officer for Grantville Police Dept., a real nice guy, but easily excitable. As I said the only way to get South was on Hwy. 29 and the best place to set up a roadblock was at the bridge over Yellow Jacket Creek. As the Chief and I jumped into action, he told me to take the back up car. That way we could fully cover the bridge and have a car to continue the chase should the unthinkable happened and the suspect got by.
We were at the bridge and in place within 3 minutes. The 'chase' was slowed somewhat by a semi truck that was in front of the fleeing car.
It seems that no sooner than the Chief and I were in place than a car that was northbound pulled up close to us and a rather large man got out on the passenger side. "Y'all fellas need any help? I got a good squirrel gun in the back seat and can hit what I aim at." That man turned out to be the famous Junior Samples of HEE HAW fame. He and his friend had been hunting in South Georgia and were on their way back home to Cumming, Georgia.
Heck, you can set up a roadblock any day of the week, but a chance to meet someone that you watch on TV is a rare event indeed. While we were talking to Junior, our blue lights flashing, the semi, suspect, and Jackie came around the curve at the junk yard and immediately all jammed up on the bridge. As soon as the vehicles stopped, Jackie was out in a flash and the fleeing suspect, who had no driver's license, gave up. Dick, Junior, the friend, and myself together watched all this unfold. Jackie did an excellence, a credit to his department. At first he was puzzled as to why we had offered so little assistance, but when he recognized who we were talking with, he cuffed and stuffed his violator in the back seat of the police car and came over to catch up on the conversation. The semi driver even got out and joined to group. We must have talked another 15 or so before another car came along, breaking up the party. By the time Junior had left, felt like I had known him for many years. Every time I would watch HEE HAW after that I felt a personal connection to the show.
That was the second famous TV star I had met, Officer Don(Smith) of the Popeye Club was my first!

No comments:

Post a Comment